Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thank You to Our Sponsors

I would like to take a moment and send out a note of gratitude to the makers of Legos, without whom I would not have survived this weekend.

As all of us with children have learned, there are no plans that can not be changed at the last minute. This weekend my son Jake and I were set to "get out of Dodge" for some much needed time with friends at their place in "the country". But 4am Saturday morning Jake woke me with a bout of vomiting that sidelined us instead.

Now I have learned to roll with it like a champ since becoming a mom, but the thought of being stuck in the house all weekend without appropriate provisions or entertainment was daunting.

Luckily my son is a trooper and wasn't down for too long. Saturday was spent sleeping, watching movies and laying low. By Sunday my cabin fever had set in, and I was happy to escape outdoors to shovel the driveway, typically a job I loathe much like going to the dentist or the mechanic.

Jake meanwhile had rediscovered his passion for Legos and spent the day building, creating, and animating elaborate vehicles of all shapes. I too spent many hours on the floor of the playroom digging through the Lego bins looking for just the right piece while my legs and hips cramped. We sang while we worked, a mix of our own silly songs and my endless rounds of Cee-Lo Green's "Forget You" which was stuck in our heads all day.

So the award for most valuable player for the day, goes to those timeless, colorful, plastic blocks, even though I stepped and sat on my share!




No comments:

Post a Comment